STUDY TO MIGRATE
Inter-Ed works with numerous colleges and universities around the world, placing students who succeed in attaining degrees and a lifetime’s worth of experience in their campus. Partner institutions are located in Australia, France, Germany, the United Kingdom, the United States, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand, and New Zealand.
Traditionally, students studying abroad had to return home as soon as they completed their studies. In fact, if during their student visa interview, the consul got the faintest suspicion that the student intended to work after their studies, they would be denied a visa.
Today, however, things have changed. Western countries need smart young people to give them a competitive edge in the information age. Additionally, these same countries also are badly in need of particular skills that their own citizens are either unwilling or unable to do. Countries like the UK, Australia, and NZ have come to the realization that rather than spending large amounts of money to try to recruit and attract the people they want, they would do much better by just letting their overseas fee-paying students remain after their studies. After all, they are oriented and acclimatized to the country, have recognized qualifications from the country, have a strong and stable financial base (otherwise they could not have afforded their studies), and want to live in that country. What better people could you possibly have?!
INTER-ED offers a wide range of services for students who want to study overseas. Initially, students may avail of:
- FREE Counseling for Overseas Studies
- Career Aptitude Testing
- Assessment of Overseas Study Opportunities
Having gone through these initial assessments, if found qualified, Inter-Ed then matches and places the student in a carefully chosen field, institution, and destination.
After the student submits all the necessary documentation for processing, Inter-Ed secures the Admission in one of more than 150 schools, colleges, or universities represented by Inter-Ed in Australia, Canada, Europe, NZ, Singapore, the UK, or the USA. Having received the acceptance advice, Inter-Ed then processes:
- Student Visa
- Student Housing
- Health Insurance
As soon as the student visa has been secured, the travel arrangements are done.
- Travel Assistance / Hotel Reservations / Travel Insurance
- Airport pick-up
- Transmittal of tuition and housing fees
Acute shortage of Australian Aged Carers Creates Opportunities for Philippine Student Nurses and RNs
Inter-Ed posted an article about the desperate shortage of beds for the elderly in aged care villages and specially designed facilities in Australia. Quoting Cameron O’Reilly, CEO of the Aged Care Guild, the article stated that 76,000 new beds would be needed by 2023. What was not mentioned was that the shortage of Aged Carers was even more acute than the beds as many are reaching retirement age and there is no one to replace them. The immediate need for Aged Care nurses is 2,500 with the number constantly increasing.
Working with their partners in Australia, Inter-Ed has created a solution for easing the problem and simultaneously creating opportunities for Philippine nurses to gain real and valuable nursing experience in the gerontology sector. Aged Care Opportunities in Australia
Philippine nurses can now take a year of Paid Internship in Australia working with the elderly in supervised settings in specialist aged care facilities. Currently, 200 intern positions have just become available, mostly in Queensland and Victoria, and Philippines nurses who graduated less than 18 months ago can be deployed on intern visas before the end of the year.
With typical salaries at AUD$18.00/hour and a working week of 35 – 40 hours, interns can earn AUD$720.00/week and gain invaluable experience for eligibility towards becoming an Australian SRN. The internship allowance will more than cover the cost of the conversion program to convert from a Philippines RN to an Australian SRN.
LAUNCHING YOUR CAREER IN THE HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY THROUGH INTERNSHIPS
Employers love potential staff with real-world experience. But how can you have that when you have not yet graduated or only just finished your course?The answer is: INTERNSHIPS
Internships are undertaken to give industry experience before joining the workforce and sometimes as a graduation requirement. Inter-Ed specializes in organizing well-paid internships for Hospitality students. Three different areas of hospitality internships are available:
- Food and Beverage or Rotational (F & B, Rooms Division, Front Office)
- Le Cordon Bleu
Chef and Culinary Internships
The expected typical duties and skill development for Culinary Interns are as follows:
- Apprentice Chef; Commis Chef; Demi Chef
- Communication Management
- Team cooperation
- Hygiene standards and safety
- Food production
- Food presentation
- Mise en Place
- Inter-departmental Teamwork (i.e. Between Kitchen and Food and Beverage staff)
Food and Beverage Internships
The expected typical duties and skill development for Food and Beverage Interns are as follows:
- Industry service standards
- Operational knowledge of restaurant equipment
- Beverage/Menu knowledge development
- Dining room set up and turn around
- Table service
- Restaurant hosting
- Service of cuisines
- Cash handling
- Shift work – meal period knowledge development
- Supervisory skill development
Front Office Internships
The expected typical duties and skill development for Front Office Interns are as follows:
- Sales and Reservations
- Guest services
- Telephone etiquette and management
- Check-in and Check out
- Cashiering including foreign exchange
- Providing orientation and information to guests
- Room inventory assistance and assessment
- Group bookings and management
- Finance / Marketing
- Supervisory skill development
Note: Roles vary depending on candidates’ skill level
Internships can be taken for 6 or 12 months and are offered by Inter-Ed in two countries: Australia and the USA.
Interns are either accommodated on the property where they are working or are assisted by the hotel to find suitable accommodation nearby. In Australia and the USA, most of the hotels and resorts are 5 Star.
What are the qualifications needed?
All of the Hotel HR Managers have the same answer: Enthusiasm, Commitment, Capacity for Hard Work, Personal Presentation, and Communications Skills. In addition, there is the expectation that the intern has some basic skills learned from their college course and/or industry work experience.
Each country has slightly different requirements for the internship visa but the usual requirements are:
FOR 6 MONTHS
- Be currently enrolled and have completed at least 2 years (preferably 3 years) of the degree program, be a student of good standing, and be able to demonstrate this through college transcript and letter of reference/recommendation
- The internship should be a requirement for the course being taken or a graduation requirement
- The intern should be completing their course upon return to the Philippines
- The intern should be aged between 18 – 30
- The intern should hold a current, valid passport
FOR 12 MONTHS
- The internship must start within 18 months of graduation.
- The intern should be currently employed in the industry during the application and interview process.
- The intern should have done at least 6 months of work experience prior to application (Note: the 6-month internship in any of the two countries meets this requirement) and be able to obtain references from their place of work.
- The intern should be aged between 18 – 30. Intern should hold a current, valid passport
All programs require standard documentation for overseas travel and specific documentation for the internship programs. Inter-Ed will be happy to furnish a checklist of the requirements and help you compile the necessary documentation.
Inter-Ed recommends taking a 6-month program between Year 3 and Year 4 of the HRM college degree and applying for the 12-month program immediately upon return. The 12-month program can then be scheduled to commence straight after graduation to help you launch your career in hospitality.