Widener University is a nationally-recognized, private university where academics, leadership, and service matter.
United States of AmericaInquire Now
About Widener University
Widener University offer liberal arts and sciences and professional programs leading to associate’s, baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral degrees.
Widener University believes that academic excellence, career preparation, and civic engagement lead to success.
The University’s close-knit community includes top-notch teachers, nationally renowned researchers, and students from 22 states and 26 countries who are passionate about learning, leadership, and making a difference.
When the Widener population is not engaged in their experiential learning assignments, students and faculty members lend a hand through community service projects in Chester and in several communities around the world.
In addition, because the city of Philadelphia is only 20 minutes away, students have the opportunity to earn practical experience through internships and co-op opportunities.
Widener has a beautiful 110-acre main campus in Chester. It is a great place to live, study, and have fun. They also have satellite campuses in Exton and Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and in Wilmington, Delaware, too.
Widener At A Glance
Our Academic Programs
- More than 40 undergraduate majors and 50 minors, including top-ranked programs in nursing and hospitality management.
- 10 dual majors.
- An exploratory studies program that helps students select a major that best suits their goals and interests.
- Nationally-recognized leadership, civic engagement, and paid co-op programs that prepare students for successful lives and careers.
- Degree and certificate options for adult undergraduates.
- Master’s, doctoral, and certificate programs in business administration, clinical psychology, criminal justice, education, engineering, higher education, hospitality & tourism, law, nursing, physical therapy, public administration, and social work.
- A highly-regarded graduate program in human sexuality studies, the only one of its kind in the nation.
Our Undergraduate Students
- Total enrollment in 2014 is 3,437 students.
- Students represent 34 states and 26 foreign countries.
- 25% are students of color.
- 1029 average SAT score of the Fall 2014 freshman class.
- 80+ student clubs and organizations.
- 35% of students study abroad.
- 75% of students participate in internship, community service, and/or volunteer programs.
- 90% of all students receive financial aid.
- $22,400 average scholarship package.
Our Graduate Students
- Total enrollment in 2014 is 2,548 students.
- 27% are students of color.
- 12:1 student-faculty ratio.
- 13% full-time faculty members of color.
- 90% have a doctorate or the highest degree in their field.
Our Campus & Facilities
- 110-acre campus, only 20 minutes from Philadelphia (the fifth largest city in the U.S.).
- State-of-the-art communication studies and computer science (Freedom Hall) and nursing (Founders Hall) buildings.
- On-campus art gallery, museum, and observatory.
- 1,000+ Widener alumni are CEOs or presidents of organizations.
- 132 judges in 17 states graduated from Widener’s School of Law.
- 84% of graduates from the class of 2012 were employed or in graduate school within six months of graduation.
Points of Pride
- Widener University’s Hospitality Management program is ranked among the top 20 in the United States by the Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Education
- In Widener’s College of Arts & Sciences, Computer Science Professor Suk Chung Yoon won an outstanding teacher award from Chase Morgan, and was recognized by Microsoft as one of the nation’s best, and has been named IBM faculty member of the year.
- SAP ranks Widener’s School of Business one of the best in the world for process improvement programs.
- Over 95% of its Engineering School graduates are employed or in graduate school within 6 months of earning their degrees.
- In the School of Nursing, the Freedom Battalion of Widener University commissioned more nurses as officers in the US Army than any other college or university in the United States in two of the last five years.
- Graduates of its School of Law consistently exceed the national average in their placement in judicial clerkships
Live, learn, explore. Study Abroad.