Macquarie is home to some of the world's most pre-eminent researchers many of whom are members of our 18 Concentrations of Research Excellence. These concentrations cover a diverse range of fields from Ancient History to Climate Change.
About Macquarie University
Ranked in the top two per cent of universities globally, Macquarie is renowned for excellence in interdisciplinary research and teaching, our unique approach to learning, our highly skilled graduates, and our first-class facilities.
Macquarie University equips you with a global mindset and an internationally respected degree.
- A degree which helps you develop creative problem-solving and critical thinking skills – capabilities that will benefit you now and in the future.
- All of our degrees have been developed with graduate outcomes in mind – they offer both specialisation and breadth of learning to ensure you explore your intellectual, social and creative capacity.
An interdisciplinary approach
Macquarie pioneered interdisciplinary study – an approach which teaches you to think more broadly, to tackle the big questions in life and the things that really matter to society.
- Many of the world’s greatest achievements and innovations hae resulted from an interdisciplinary approach. This is why a Macquarie degree – which will equip you with a global mindset – will benefit you now and into the future.
- Though you might not yet know exactly what you want to do with your life, and you’ll probably change jobs throughout your career, this approach to learning will definitely give you an edge.
A Macquarie education is also about far more than classroom learning: it’s about real-world learning.
- When you experience a Macquarie education you don’t just learn from textbooks, you learn from the practical application of your knowledge in real-life organisations and environments.
Macqurie is home to internationally-renowned researchers, many of who will be your teachers.
Macquarie is ranked 4th in Australia for our research at the highest level.
In the Australian Government’s Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) we achieved the maximum 5 rating (outstanding performance well above world standard) in biological sciences, Earth sciences, environmental sciences, physical sciences, and psychology and cognitive sciences.
Not only will you be studying in 126 hectares of park-like campus just 15km from Sydney’s CBD, you’ll also have the advantage of attending university in the heart of Australia’s largest high-technology precinct.
Because of this location, our degrees offer outstanding integration with industry, providing you with a superior learning environment, enhanced internship opportunities and greater exposure to the job market prior to graduation.
The Macquarie Non-award program offered by the Centre for Open Education is an upfront tuition fees program that allows students to study individual units (subjects) without the restriction of a degree. If you are looking to study for general interest, professional purposes, or to gain entry to a degree program through an alternative pathway, then the Macquarie Non-award program is for you!
Once enrolled, Non-award students are indistinguishable from degree students and become subject to the same rules relating to prerequisite studies, work required and credit points, examinations, grades, non-compliance with unit requirements and discontinuation of studies. For undergraduate students these rules are called the Bachelor Degree Rules and are found in the University Handbook of Undergraduate Studies. Rules 6-12 are the ones you need to be most familiar with. Rules for postgraduate students can be found in the Handbook of Postgraduate Studies.
The Non-award program is suitable for students looking for an alternative pathway into a Bachelor degree program. Students studying via the Non-award pathway have a large selection of units to choose from, with each of the four Faculties offering units to pathway students. Non-award units successfully completed as part of the pathway will be credited towards the student’s award course at Macquarie University.
There are many individual units at Macquarie University that can assist in refreshing, upgrading or enhancing your professional skills. You may consider studying Non-award to:
- Complete units before commencing a Graduate Diploma or Masters Degree
- Refresh or learn new IT skills
- Learn about a foreign culture or a new language in preparation for a business conference
- Study introductory marketing, business administration or accounting units to assist in running a business
- Professional accreditation purposes (eg CPA)
- Study current environmental issues
Live, learn, explore. Study Abroad.